The Princess and the Pirate

Adventure / Comedy (more)

23 April 2004

The Gathering

Last week, I attended an annual event called the Gathering of Friends, hosted by the esteemed American game designer, Alan R. Moon. This was my first Gathering, and after having read reports about the event for years, I admit that I was somewhat reluctant to go. (I often feel that I don't fit in with real gamers, and annoy them with my somtimes purposefully non-optimal play.) But it is an honor to be invited and I decided it would be silly not to at least give it a try.

I roomed with my friend Jim Doherty, who despite having known me for years, still occasionally calls me Jim. It turns out I answer to just about anything anyway. He and I partnered in the Crokinole tournament, were on the same team for Peter Sarrett's Hot Streak game show, and generally hung out together, though I also mingled and met many new folks. Honestly, one of the nicest bunch of people you'll find in a single hotel anywhere.

The games I played:
Can't Stop (x4)
Crokinole (x12, maybe more)
Employee of the Month
Fast Food Franchise
Fresh Fish
Goa
Hansa
Nobody But Us Chickens
Oh, Pharaoh!
Penguin Ultimatum
Princes of the Renaissance
Werewolf

Prototypes I played:
Alfonzo Smith's Malibu
Can't Remember's Veggie Market
Greg Daigle's Secret Garden (not as kinky as it sounds)
Kevin Nunn's Man from S.O.L.I.T.A.I.R.E.
Mike Fitzgerald's Bonnie and Clyde
Stephen Glenn's Galapagos

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home