The Princess and the Pirate

Adventure / Comedy (more)

13 March 2006

Six Movies I Think Are Worse Than You Think

Playing with my IMDB ratings, I decided to look at where my tastes differ from the general public. One thing to note is that my IMDB ratings list does not contain every movie I've ever seen; I've never taken the time to retro-actively/spectively score flicks from the past. But such does carry the benefit of only ever having rated a movie while it's fresh in my mind. Also note that these six films are NOT my lowest rated films, but are those that I rated lower than the average by the widest margin...









TitleMy RatingIMDB AverageDifference
Jackass: The Movie (2002)26-4
"Rose Red" (2002) (mini)36.3-3.3
Skyscraper Souls (1932)47.2-3.2
House of 1000 Corpses (2003)25.2-3.2
Monsters, Inc. (2001)58-3
Solyaris (1972)58-3


Jackass and 1000 Corpses are no real surprise, as I'm not part of the target demographic (severe cognitive deficiency).

Rose Red would have worked better had it been condensed to normal motion picture length, concentrating the sparse elements of suspense, but I doubt I'd be able to raise its rating more than a point even so.

Monsters, Inc. is pop children's fare, which adults are able to enjoy also. And I did enjoy it, just not more than most other movies I've seen.

Solyaris (that's the original Russian version) is a tough one. It is Too Long. Yet, it almost needs to be so, since the premise requires the viewer to marinate in its atmosphere in order to buy in. Ultimately, though, it's just not worth the wait. I've seen parts of the 2002 remake, Solaris (no "y"), but that didn't seem to grab me either, though it is merely half the length of the original. Ultimately, I wonder if enjoyment of this story boils down to whether or not you find the premise a fascinating idea. And I guess I don't.

The biggest surprise has to be Skyscraper Souls. In general, I love old black-and-whate cinema classics. They often appeal based on the acting chemistry and snappy dialog. But Skyscraper Souls just felt flat and dull to me.

Obviously, YMMV.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home