The Princess and the Pirate

Adventure / Comedy (more)

14 March 2006

Six Films I Think Are Better Than You Think

As a followup to yesterday's post, here are six flicks I rated higher than the average by the widest margin...









TitleMy RatingIMDB AverageDifference
Joe Versus the Volcano (1990)85.3+2.7
Waterworld (1995)85.3+2.7
El Diablo (1990) (TV)85.6+2.4
Dead Awake (2001)74.8+2.2
Onmyoji 2 (2003)74.8+2.2
The Adventures of Pluto Nash (2002)63.8+2.2


Now, note that I didn't find Pluto Nash to be a masterpiece of cinema; I rated it a solid 6. But nor is it the celluloid sludge people make it out to be. I think it's fun.

Onmyoji 2 I liked a little better than its predecessor.

Dead Awake is the kind of film I would like to make if I were a moviemaker. It's chock full of short twists and interesting, quirky characters (but not so quirky as to annoy me). I found it to be very original and well performed.

I don't generally go for Westerns, and that's why I like El Diablo. If you do heart Westerns, it will probably turn you off.

Why Waterworld gets such a bad rap I cannot fathom (pun intended). It's fun, adventurous, has some interesting ideas, and Costner is perfect in this role, possibly because he has minimal dialog. Hopper excels as the quintessential bad-guy-frustrated-by-inept-minions.

In contrast, I understand how many people just don't get Joe Versus the Volcano. At least I thought I did. I expected an inverse bell curve in its ratings, with scores bunched at the extremes; this turns out not to be so. The only revealing stat appears to show that young people (under 18) hate this movie. So that makes me wonder if enjoyment of this one is at least partly generational. I imagine the younger crowd feeling about Office Space the way I feel about JVtV. That is, it inspires me toward doing something meaningful. I'm not there yet, but maybe if I watch JVtV another time or two?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home